Tuesday, April 5th:
- Join us in-person or online for a lunchtime webinar with Maxine Bédat, founder and Director of the New Standard Institute, and author of UNRAVELED: The Life and Death of a Garment. She will give an overview of the impacts the fashion industry has on climate, environment, and human rights, and give an update on the progress of the Fashion Sustainability and Social Accountability Act (“Fashion Act”), a state bill that was first proposed in New York, and is building momentum across the country.
- Virtual or in-person: Josie Johnson Community Room 180, Humphrey School
- Register to Join Hybrid Event
"The Interplay of Climate Change and Health" hosted by the Global Health Student Advisory Board
- Zoom: 996 5731 7968
Saturday, April 9th:
PPA's Environment Committee: Prospect Park Earth Day River, Park, and Storm Drain Clean Up
Gloves and bags are provided! The event runs from Saturday, April 9th through Saturday, April 23rd (2 weeks). Get a sports water bottle for your efforts! Help keep the stormwater drains clear of litter and leaves, pick up the parks, or clean up your section of the neighborhood. There will be 4 locations where you can pick up supplies on Saturday, April 9 (bags for litter & recycling, gloves, and a reusable water bottle) between 9:00am-12:00pm. If you can't make it on the 10th but want to be involved, complete the form for ways to be involved. For more information, please email [email protected]. A $25 gift card will be awarded after a drawing
Pick up materials at any of these 4 locations:
- East River Parkway & SE Franklin Avenue in River Gorge Park
- Luxton Park
- Bridal Veil Park SE 29th Ave & SE 4th St. (Towerside @ 4th St.)
- Prospect Park (Tower Hill Park)
Sunday, April 10th
Environmental Student Association Hiking Trip to Afton State Park
Monday, April 11th
EELS' Non-Career Career Panel
- Join EELS for an overview of potential careers that may not be traditional "law" jobs!
- Mondale Hall
Tuesday, April 12th:
oSTEM/Environmental Student Association Plant Social
- Folwell 31
UMN Career Center's "Lawyering for Social Justice" Series: Elise Larson
- The Lawyering for Social Justice Series gives students the opportunity to engage with human rights and social justice practitioners to learn about their work and diverse career paths in the local, national, and international arenas. Elise Larson is a 2012 graduate of the University of Minnesota Law School and currently serves as the Water Program Director and Senior Attorney at the Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy.
Thursday, April 14th:
Humphrey School Climate Action Breakfast Briefing: National Climate News
- Humphrey School of Public Affairs and Energy & Environmental Policy Club
- Join the climate action conversation. Hear from a panel of interdisciplinary experts on current climate events. Enjoy free breakfast and coffee while doing so!
- Attend virtually or in person at the Humphrey School Wilkins Room
Minnesota Environmental Institute
- This virtual (register here) conference provides an annual update of new cases, laws, and ideas to improve environmental practice. Debra Shore, EPA Region 5 Administrator, will be the special presenter. Highlights also include annual update presentations on the CAA, water, environmental review and environmental rights, and CERCLA/MERLA/RCRA.; breakouts; presentation of the distinguished service award; and an ethics presentation. There is a discount for this event for MSBA ENRE Attorneys.
Friday, April 15th:
Environmental Student Association Thrifting at Goodwill
Saturday, April 16th:
April 17th-23rd: Climate Week:
- EELS Water Law Event: What is Water Law? - Apr. 20 over the lunch hour
- WBEEC Dealing with Climate Anxiety Workshop
- Reinvesting in the Heartland Conference: Rural Perspectives on Environmental Initiatives (Conference) from WBEEC - Apr 22 all day
- EELS Annual Earth Day Barbecue - likely Apr. 23rd outside the Law School
- Earth Day cleanups, e.g. FMR Annual River Gorge Earth Day Cleanup
- More info on the Law School Earth Week events calendar
Monday, April 18th:
- Come shop at the grocery store on wheels! Fresh and affordable groceries at a reduced price sponsored by the Minnesota Student Association and the Food Group.
- Behind CMU
Environmental Student Association: Planting Herbs and Discussing Biodiversity
Tuesday, April 19th:
- Join us for the Spring Clothing Swap! Donate gently used clothes and items like backpacks, gloves, scarves, etc. Please bring your T-shirts! There will be a fun activity with them. Drop off clothes at the MSA office on the second floor of Coffman Memorial Union and get ready for the pick-up event.
- Drop-Off: 4/11 to 4/15 at the MSA Office in Room 202 of the Student Union.
- Pick-Up: 4/19 in the Front Plaza of Coffman Memorial Union from 11:00am to 4:00pm.
Wednesday, April 20th:
Paint and Pot Succulents
Net Impact - Impact Consulting Showcase
- Bruininks Hall 432
Thursday, April 21st:
Energy and Environmental Policy Club (EEPC) & WBEC: Campus Scavenger Hunt
Friday, April 22nd (EARTH DAY!):
Women in Business Earth Day Event: Keep our campus clean
- East River Flats Park (Behind Coffman)
- 3M Auditorium, Carlson School of Management
M Dining and the Office of Sustainability: Special menu and Trivia Night
- Pioneer Dining Hall
Saturday, April 23rd:
- Marcy-Holmes Earth Day River clean-up in partnership with the Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board. Bags, gloves, coffee, and other refreshments are provided. You are not required to RSVP, but doing so will help us with supply estimates. For more information or updates about the event please feel free to visit the Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association events webpage.
- Father Hennepin Bluff Park 420 SE Main St, Minneapolis, MN 55414. Meet near the intersection of Main Street SE and 6th Avenue SE.
SE Como Earth Day Garden & Neighborhood Cleanup
- Come out to celebrate Earth Day and welcome spring with your SE Como neighbors! Join us anytime to help clean up and beautify the neighborhood, come tour, learn about and help start spring cleanup at our 6 community gardens, and enjoy some fun, educational and interactive activities for all! Contact [email protected] to sign up or learn more, or just come on by, and bring your friends and neighbors!
- To request interpreting services or accommodations for this event, please contact [email protected].
- Van Cleve Park, 901 15th Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414
365Green Highway 212 Clean Up
Saturday, April 23rd-Sunday, April 24th:
Sunday, April 24th:
Campus Cleanup Crew Track Pick-up
Friday, April 29th:
- A discussion on strategies to effectively talk about climate issues with your friends, family, and colleagues. Suzi Clark, Postdoctoral Associate in the Department of Soil, Water, and Climate, will discuss the importance of talking about climate change, why so many of us are hesitant to talk about it and how to have meaningful conversations.
- Virtual (register)
Saturday, April 30th:
Spring Jam Compost Crew
- Student Unions & Activities and Minnesota Student Association (MSA) are looking for volunteers at Spring Jam, 4/30: Sign up for a #CompostCrew shift! In addition to gaining valuable, hands-on experience with environmentally sustainable events, all Compost Crew volunteers will receive a free Spring Jam™ Volunteer T-Shirt and a voucher to use at any festival food truck. z.umn.edu/CompostCrewSignUp #SJ22
SHARE THIS EVENT LIST: z.umn.edu/earthmonthevents
Want to submit your event? Email us at [email protected]